We know that a healthy growing child is a happy one and as a parent your child’s health and happiness comes first. With 2 daily glasses of NESTLÉ® NIDO® 3+ along with a balanced diet and active lifestyle, you can try and ensure your child develops good habits.
It’s important for your child to learn healthy practices as they grow so that when they grow up, they are well-adjusted adults that bring positive change to their communities and the world. Learning doesn’t happen without effort, it takes planning, practice and energy for their growing minds to receive, process and retain information. That’s why healthy meals and foods are so important.
Signs of good health are dependent on more than quality nutrition alone. Family attitudes towards food, your child’s social environment and the example you set all influence their lifestyle choices.
Nurture a healthy future for your child by trying some of the below tips:
- Help your child choose good friends. Keeping tabs on his or her social life (and bringing any bullying out into the open so that it may be dealt with) helps to foster a strong sense of selfesteem. Try not to be invasive, rather keep lines of communication open so your child feels safe to confide in you with any issue they may be facing. Trust is important to build so they don’t feel as if their privacy is being violated.
- Never use food as a reward or punishment. Words of encouragement foster a more balanced mindset and do not create associations between unhealthy food and happiness. It’s good to enjoy or indulge in a favourite (not so healthy snack) every now and then but be mindful of how these moments could build lifelong patterns of association in your child’s life.
- Play it forward. Active kids have a healthier lifestyle and outdoor play is essential for bonding. Don’t be afraid to run around outdoors or roll in the mud with your little one, it will encourage them to explore the world around them and develop a love for movement in the fresh air.
- Set a good example. Be positive and reflect the signs of good health and body weight yourself so your kids witness the benefits first-hand.
- Help your child stay hydrated throughout the day, and get enough sleep with daily naps included. Your child’s water intake and sleep are crucial to maintain good emotional and physical health. Consult their doctor for advice on the amounts of sleep and water intakes are recommended for their specific age.
- Prepare meals from the basic ingredients. Home cooked food (as opposed to ready-made meals) makes it easier to track what nutritional content is packed in them. Using fresh ingredients also ensures most of the nutritional content is utilised in its freshest form and additives are kept to a minimum.
- Talk to your child about the importance of nutrition. Knowing why healthy eating and nutrition are important helps to provide motivation to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Quick and easy snacks to start that nutrition train
‘Rabbit’ sandwich – For the veggie lovers
Spread 1 slice of wholegrain bread with cream cheese or cottage cheese. Grate 1 small carrot and sprinkle over the cheese. Cut the slice of bread in half, put one half on top of the other and press down firmly.
Mince torpedo – A hearty meaty snack
Spread half a French baguette/roll thinly with margarine or butter. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of leftover cooked mince into the roll and add half a cup of grated cheddar cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. To serve warm, place it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 180 ̊C. The mince inside soaks into the roll while the outside is crunchy. Cut the roll into smaller pieces. This makes for a great-tasting snack.
And don’t forget the drinks
Two-thirds of our body consist of water, which is why hydration is important for a growing child. Always consider a drink for child that is low in sucrose, and artificial additives. 2 daily glasses of NESTLÉ® NIDO® 3+ paired with nutrient rich meals and snacks is just one of the great options to choose from for your little one.
Remember it’s never too late to start fostering a well-balanced lifestyle, with some of these small everyday tips. Start slowly and try out one or two at a time to see which practice best fits your family. Good, nutrient packed foods and snacks help your child feel more energized, support growth and aid in an overall healthy immune system.
NESTLÉ® NIDO® 3+ is not a breastmilk substitute but a drink specially suited for children older than 3 years.